Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Big C - Creativity

I think it might be official. I’m one-of-a-kind. Well, I’m most definitely unique. Those who know me personally, of course, might not refute this point – for good or for evil! Technically, though, when I refer to this uniqueness, I actually mean it on a professional level.

Admit it… how many Creative Cultural Liaisons do you know?

When I was first interviewed for my current role at ACE Communities, I was informed by the interview panel that much consideration – and debate! – had gone into the particular wording of this position’s title.

For those who don’t know, A.C.E. actually stands for Active, Creative, and Engaged communities. In essence, the strategic creation of the Creative Cultural Liaison position within the ACE Communities portfolio meant not only the creation of an ambassador for the big ‘C’ – Creativity of A.C.E, but also acknowledged ACE Communities’ belief in the importance of arts, culture, and heritage in the sustainability of Alberta’s rural communities.

The role of creativity in community building is a hot topic as of late. Many of you are familiar with Richard Florida’s theories in The Rise of the Creative Class arguing that it’s the creative economy (powered by the likes of artists, musicians, architects, designers, and entrepreneurs) that will eventually make or break many communities.

According to Florida: Arts, culture and heritage = energized spaces and more inclusive philosophies.

In 2006, the organization, Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees (GCRI), put out a report entitled: The Art of Community. This report illustrated how weaving art and culture into program initiatives can lay the foundation for newcomers and the receiving society to find common ground and work together to build vibrant communities in which everyone has a stake (a shout out to Susan Coombes in Alberta’s Human Rights and Citizenship Department for sending me that resource).

Princeton University furthered this investigation by completing a literature review on the impact of arts and culture. Their study focused on three types of claims: "1. first, claims that the arts build social capital; 2. second, claims that the arts improve the economy; 3. third, claims that the arts are good for individuals. "

Need I say more? And this is not even touching on how the big C also refers to resilience and the ability to creatively roll with the punches when it comes to challenges in our communities. Creativity goes beyond the ‘arts’ per se, to also represent innovative problem solving, visionary mapping of community assets, and thinking outside of the proverbial box.

So, I can happily say that I’m proud to be unique. I am willing, however, to share my creative title with anyone who wants it. Let’s start a movement… come forth Creative Cultural Liaisons (and equivalents) and let’s all unite under the big C flag! Your communities will be better for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment